Old 25-01-2011, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potted plants this time of year

On 25/01/2011 15:21, Shortbread wrote:
Hi,
I need some help.
I'm organising a funeral for a close friend and there's a slight
difficulty. She hated cut flowers and didn't have them in the house, any
time.
I'm thinking of potted plants/flowers for the funeral service, but
haven't a clue what's available this time of year and how hardy they
might be, if I bought them several days before and how they'd stand up
to a long journey to the crematorium. Budget is a consideration, too.
Any suggestions welcomed, and many thanks in advance.

I think that you'll find most potted plants at this time of year consist
of polyanthus and/or pansies, together with some evergreen plants such
as ivy or a small conifer (which won't be small in a couple of years or
so!).

Polyanthus and pansies are hardy and pretty tough, although rough
handling will damage their flowers. In particular I would check the
centre of the polyanthus for unopened buds. There should be quite a few
of these at various stages of development. Ensure that one or two are
about to open (i.e. showing some flower colour), and any damaged flowers
will soon be replaced.

--

Jeff