Old 26-01-2011, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Different soil in the garden

"DogDiesel" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Baz wrote:

"DogDiesel" wrote in
:

Do any of you go as far as having different soil mixes for different
plants in the garden. ?

Diesel.

Yes,
For example people usually add manure/compost when planting potatoes, add
lime for bressicas etc.
Or have I got the question wrong? I often do.

Baz

http://fieldcrop.msu.edu/documents/E2893.pdf

Adding manure directly before planting can
increase risk of disease, such as common scab
(Streptomyces scabie) in potato. Consider carefully
manure effects and disease potential before
incorporating manure in the spring. Composted
manure will generally be much safer and
reduce disease risk.
--
- Billy

Thanks Billy. What timing. I was just thinking of adding manure from
Tractor supply. I was going to dump it in the snow. For Spring. If you
put a lot of it in the composter bin. Will it make composting stop. Will it
Burn it or something.

Diesel.

Manure from the stores are typically sterilized. If so, it can be used
immediately in the garden. Most bags of compost/manure sold in stores are
mostly sterilized animal manure. Plant compost is the GOLD that most
gardeners want and is the best and not typically sold in stores, got to
make your own. Look on the bag for NPK amount it is usually around .5 for
each of the NPK values.

However, fresh animal manures need time in the sun to dry before using in
the compost piles or directly in the garden. Not a good thing to put down
fresh animal manure 90 days before planting, 180 days before harvest. I
would not put down fresh animal manure on wet ground or snow. Putting fresh
animal manure on wet areas may cause liquifying of the manure and cause
contamination of local well and water systems.

But if your buying your compost at a store it is probably sterilized and
safe to use as you wish.