Old 26-01-2011, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Early appearances

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
news

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Bill Grey wrote:
wrote in message
I know someone did this already, but I've lost the thread, sorry.

Popped along to the allotment yesterday and had a look, and the rhubarb
is
showing! Now this was showing on one plant a couple of weeks ago, just
about, but now /both/ are well on their way!

Nick is furious cos he wanted to split them!

Are you going to force it? At least put a bucket over it.

Only if you're going to dig it up and throw it away afterwards...

--
Rusty

I thought Rhubarb was fairly indestructible. I was given a root many
years ago and in due course it was buried with building rubble, this it
survived, then later I lit a graden fire roughtly on the spot where the
Rhubarb was buried, this it also survived. The root originally came from
Somerset in the mid 1800s by the grandfather of a pal of mine. The stalks
were huge and the leaves were very big. If picked when quite young the
rhubarb was very nice.

Bill

I was under the same impression, I rescued one which was poking its nose up
under a site hut on a building site. Had to get it out in bits and pieces,
dumped them in a wheelbarrow, took them home, dumped them in the ground :-))
Had rhubarb ever since :-))

Perhaps it's my wife's skills, she's only been gardening for 51 years though
;-((

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive