Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
SteveG

Default Eclipse hood questions

They sell the Hagen bubble counter/diffuser seperately now.

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
"Daniel C. Smith" wrote:

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to planted aquariums, but I've always wanted
one in my home. I started a tank back in September, it is a 20 gallon

high
tank with an Eclipse 2 hood. The substrate is Flourite, and next week

I'll
have CO2 provided by a Hagen Natural Plant System. Looks like just a
commerical version of DIY C02, but I liked the clean looks of this unit.
Anyway, my question is, is this setup sufficient to do a decent

beginner's
plant tank?

Sounds just like my setup - same tank and hood, same substrate. The
only difference is that my CO2 system is a DIY. I'd love to have the
little clear plastic gizmo from the Hagen system, but not enough to
buy the complete kit.

I'm particularly concerned about the lighting, whether the
Eclipse hood is adaquate. I have some Java moss and some Wisteria growing
pretty well in this tank, but then I have some kind of sword (they all

look
the same to me at this point) that isn't doing too well.

Depends on the plant from what I've been reading. My Anacharis, Rotala
Indica, and Red Ludwigia are all doing pretty well - growth is pretty
decent and obvious, though I'm certainly not having to trim anything
back like some accounts that I read.

I've also got an Amazon Sword, and like yours, it seems to be pretty
much in a holding pattern. Not dead, but not visibly growing, either.

Anyway, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure there is some low cost, low impact way to upgrade the
lighting in an Eclipse hood, though I've not yet found any details
about it. For myself, in the future I'm planning to stick with plants
that have more modest lighting requirements.

--
www.ericschreiber.com