Old 28-01-2011, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Bees, anyone?

Glen Walpert wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 02:26:38 +0000, Nad R wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jan 27, 5:38 am, ectosaur
wrote:
Hi,

My name's Estelle and I'm a product design engineering student at the
University of Glasgow investigating the reasons why people choose or
are put off beekeeping. I'm hoping to try and address some of the
barriers to beekeeping through product design.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever considered keeping bees? If
so, what was the outcome?
If not, would you ever consider keeping bees?

I've put together a wee questionnaire that basically asks the same
questions, and I'd be immensely grateful if anyone finds the time to
fill it out:

http://tinyurl.com/5u2vhrx

If questionnaires aren't your thing, just let me know your thoughts
here!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I look forward to hear from
you.

Estelle

--
ectosaur

I took your little survey and hope the responses are helpful in your
project.

I didn't set out to keep bees; a friend of mine asked if he could use
my garden, so I said OK; it sounded kewl, and I would be getting honey.
It was awesome! When they swarmed, they hung from my apricot tree in a
huge bulge; not dangerous; just waiting till the queen signals it's
time to go.

The only reason I discontinued was that a neighbor mentioned that he
was having bees in his attic. I was afraid to get ticketed or
whatever, since it isn't permitted, so eventually I had to ask the
friend to remove them.

But it was a great experience while it lasted.

HB

If you live in the boondocks beekeeping is ok, if they swarm.. So
what... However, the beekeeper should have inspected the hive more often
and should have removed extra queens bees from the hive as they are
formed. this helps minimize swarms. When beekeepers put hives in other
people yards the hive inspections tend to bee (pun) non existent.

Removing extra queens is a poor method of preventing swarms, it is far
better to make sure they have enough brood space at all times so that
they have no reason to make the extra queens in the first place, both for
better swarm prevention and for better hive health. I recommend that
anyone considering honeybees read "Hive Management: A Seasonal Guide for
Beekeepers" *before* getting their first hive.

http://www.amazon.com/Hive-Managemen...rs-Down-Earth/
dp/0882666371

Beekeeping and gardening timings are almost the same. From planting to
harvest.

I will agree with that. However, an occasional inspection can help. Even
with that extra brood space they can still make extra queens. The bees will
not swarm without a queen. Where there is a swarm their is a queen leading
them.

I know that inspecting too often will give the honey a smokey off taste so
inspections is a balancing act. Like i said in the country who cares. Bees
in the city needs greater care.