Old 28-01-2011, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Allotment rents to rise 300%

"Paul" wrote in message
London Borough of Barnet, north London, plans to triple allotment rents
next year. This seems such a regressive, destructive action.
Is this happening across the country?

As I understand it, allotment rents vary quite a lot across the country -
I've seen a range of £8 pa to £80 pa, with the average being in the £20 to
£40 bracket.

But there does seem to be a trend of councils 'removing subsidies' and
increasing rents. There are discussion of this on www.allotments4all.co.uk
for example

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/...?topic=65069.0

where one poster reports that Nottingham are intending to increase by 20% pa
(from roughly £40 pa) for each of the next five years. Obviously that isn't
tripling the rent, but you can see which way the wind's blowing.