View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
Old 29-01-2011, 11:13 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 17:10:08 +0000, darren30
Ooooh Eck! Darren. You've asked your question via Garden Banter (GB).
FWIW, the GB system which is, I suppose a forum, is an advertising
thing. When you post a question to GB, it simly sends it on to
something called USENET and hence to the UK.REC.GARDENING NEWSGROUP.
If you don't understand the bits in capitals, type them into your
search engine or go back to Garden Banter and check there. Meanwhile,
GB will happily accept your questions, send them on to us and earn
income from advertising. Maybe you'll realise now why we in the
newsgroup don't like Garden Banter.
Hi, I do not understand what you mean? I do not want to earn income I simply thought this was a forum where I could find help from experienced gardeners? Who is GB ? and how can I ask them the questions? any help you can give me as a newcomer would be splendid.

Quote:
So get back to us with some more info - where are you (what you can
grow depends on where you are in the UK), what's your soil like -
heavy clay, sandy, acidic , alkaline? and are you really only looking
to fill tubs (there are tub plants and ground plants you know!),
what's your garden like (if you've only got a balcony or courtyard
type place we'll be wasting our time suggesting plants for a larger
area).

Then maybe you'll get some worthwhile answers.
I am in Southampton, I have attached a photo of my garden, the soil is dry and crumbly not clay or sticky, I think it is acidic, but don't quote me on that. I have a nice big decking area where I like to plant pots, I have just started 2010 growing from seed and then transplanting to pots. However, I have recently bought these bulbs,tubers,perrenials from the 99p shop so I thought why not get some advice and do it properly.

The layout of my garden is this, you step off the decking on to the grass, to the left it is shady and straight ahead it is sunny. There is a pond to the right, normally I plant a mixture of bulbs and bedding in the front and the perennials to the left. On the decking I have lots of pots where I bung in bulbs and just wait and see what comes up. I am a sucker for new plants. Whenever I go to the garden centre I always come back with a new one. However, as times are a little harder, I will be reigning in my expenditure and will try to make do with what I have got.

In the list I have provided, is there any varietes that you would advise puting together in a pot or in the ground? also what is meant by adding sand for drainage? I always water my plants throughly and gauge the watering on how healthy the plant is for example nice green leaves and strong stems. I have never added sand in to my pots? however, if you can explain the process of why this is done I would have a better understanding.

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
I am new to gardening with Bulbs can you help a newcomer ?-s7300081.sized.jpg