Old 29-01-2011, 12:41 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren30 View Post
its extremely hard for me to remember all the varieties and what they prefer.
I have the same problem! I get round it three ways. Firstly, I look for general rules - eg plant bulbs twice the depth of the size of the bulb - so a 1cm bulb get planted at 2cm and a 4cm bulb at 8cm - it won't always work but it's a start.

Secondly, I don't try to remember individual varieties or indeed species. I just remember that this is a honeysuckle rather than Lonicera tatarica var Hack's Red.

Thirdly, as I start getting interested in a particular group of plants, I do start to try to remember a bit more - so I learn bit by bit when I'm really interested rather than trying to learn lots of stuff at once. So I know that I have Hack's Red because I started to realise that I have rather a lot of different honeysuckles and started to identify them and see what I had.