View Single Post
  #11   Report Post  
Old 29-01-2011, 01:04 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren30 View Post
Hi, I do not understand what you mean? I do not want to earn income I simply thought this was a forum where I could find help from experienced gardeners? Who is GB ? and how can I ask them the questions? any help you can give me as a newcomer would be splendid.
GB is the obvious abbreviation for the website/forum you have registered on. But it doesn't actually provide anything except a window on to newsgroups. Newsgroups are one of the oldest bits of the internet, and people usually read them using a newsreader program, which is a lot easier - for example, you can easily read just the new posts since you last posted, and where a thread has broken up into lots of separate discussion, the newsreader will separate them for you.

Some people on the newsgroup uk.rec.gardening, which is where your posts are being directed, get annoyed because gb is piggybacking on to the newsgroup, and is earning money from advertisers, but of course none of that money goes to the people who are actually answering posts and providing good advice. And without their posts, gb wouldn't attract any users and therefore wouldn't attract paid advertising.

Quote:

In the list I have provided, is there any varietes that you would advise puting together in a pot or in the ground? also what is meant by adding sand for drainage? I always water my plants throughly and gauge the watering on how healthy the plant is for example nice green leaves and strong stems. I have never added sand in to my pots? however, if you can explain the process of why this is done I would have a better understanding.
The iris and lilies would be OK in pots, and the Ismene (which needs to be indoors in the winter), the rest would prefer the ground. That said, I have a sea holly in a pot and it's doing fine.

Adding sand for drainage - you need sharp sand rather than builders sand, and you mix it in with the compost. The sea holly would probably appreciate it - it's natural habitat is shingly or sandy areas where water drains away quickly rather than hanging around the roots, especially in winter when cold wet roots can rot easily. Actually, Jeff's probably said it all!

I'm most impressed by your pic - everything is looking really good! I think the best advice I can give is to watch the results and think about what you are doing - it's a far better way to learn than to simply rely on advice and not do the thinking and watching. And although you may not have theoretical knowledge you clearly have practical skill.

If you want to save money (though it's hard to beat 99p per plant - even from seed if you have to buy a whole packet when you just want one plant) start experimenting with propagation - from seed, cuttings and by dividing plants. And see if you can squeeze in a compost bin somewhere, for garden waste and veg waste from the kitchen, and use this to supplement the stuff you buy in.