Old 30-01-2011, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Bluebells

On 2011-01-29 18:34:15 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2011-01-28 15:47:16 +0000, "Jo" said:

When I moved house last year one corner of my new garden was awash with
bluebells. They looked very pretty but took up a huge amount of space
and
seemed to be marching up the garden as time went on. The area was
cleared
as part of a garden redesign but they have now reappeared in force and
have
spread all over the beds I cleared last year as well as reappearing in
the
corner. I had dug deep and removed as many of the bulbs as I could.
How else can I rid my garden of these plants or at least limit them to
one
area? It's a shame to have to remove them all, but I can't have a
garden
full of bluebells and nothing else!
If they're English bluebells, dig them up and sell them.
--
Sacha
They are not likely to be, though, are they?

Tina

Why not? I'm puzzled.
--

Because most bluebells in gardens are of the Spanish variety - my garden is
infested with them.

I have this spinney at the bottom of my garden that I call my "wood" It's
only 30/40 metres but I've been planting it with native woodland plants for
many years and I cannot get "real " bluebells in there until I have no
Spanish that were planted by a previous occupant.

Sorry to suggest it, but glyphosate...

And Sainsbury's may still have some boxes of non-scripta if you hurry -
oh, and snakeshead lilies (fritillaries)

--
Rusty