Old 30-01-2011, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Hi im new :-) and fairly new to gardening :-S

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

The difference between our generation and the young ones, is that we can
do
mental arithmetic. Tables are part of the basic tools needed to do this.
Nick says people can use a calculator, but I have yet to see anybody
doing this
in a supermarket, for example. Our two kids did arithmetic using a
calculator
at school. I don't think they even own one nowadays.

I have a calculator - somewhere.

Last time I went to use it (to find a square root) I found that the
batteries had died, so I had to resort to the pencil and paper method.

--
Rusty

and you had the knowledge to do so :-))

When my children were at school, I wouldn't buy them a calculator. The
school eventually contacted me and pointed out that my children knew the
principles, and could they now have calculators as this was slowing down
their learning.

They all went on to do very well :-))

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive