Old 30-01-2011, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default The Birds - I was Wrong

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 20:39:12 +0000, echinosum
wrote:

Jake;911450 Wrote:
How did others fare?

Quite a busy morning at the bird feeders, but only ordinary stuff in my
one-hour submission. The jackdaw at the feeder was a bit of a surprise
though. The really annoying thing is that if I'd waited till the
following day to do it, I would have had a red kite on the list.

You lucky person! I've travelled to and through mid Wales many times
but have never been lucky enough to see a red kite "in the flesh".
I've had the odd buzzard landing in the garden and once had a heron.
But in the main it's the common ones.

Robin appeared again today and perched on the roof of the bird table
(the roof is there to provide some protection against cats as well as
keeping the seed a bit more dry) until a gaggle of various types of
tit and finch had their fill. Then he hopped down and was joined by a
nuthatch. About 20 seconds later the starlings swooped in. Poor robin
looked like getting overwhelmed again but little nuthatch demonstrated
a veracity that I haven't seen before and the starlings were summarily
evicted. Nuthatch and robin proceeded to enjoy an undisturbed feast
together whilst starlings collected in a nearby tree. Only when r & n
flew off together did the starlings return to the bird table. Any one
of them was bigger than r & n combined but they were obviously
cowards.