Old 30-01-2011, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Ow

On 30 Jan 2011 22:15:34 GMT, wrote:

I pinched out what I later assumed was a rose thorn from my finger earlier
today. It appears to be going yellow and lumpy. :-(

Nick suggested I iodine it - anyone any experience in un-infecting rose
thorn injuries?

(I'm /assuming/ it was a rose thorn, given I chopped down all my garden
roses yesterday, and one is particularly snaggley, but it could possibly
have been something else)

Ouch!

AFAIK, iodine is now considered old hat as it can actually delay the
healing process. I've read somewhere that washing in soap and water is
as good as, if not better than, applying iodine.I swear by good old
TCP though I keep a stock of those little envelopes of antiseptic
wipes - the ones that sting like hell when you rub them on - in the
shed.

The rose thorn itself won't be a problem (assuming it's all out and
there isn't a titchy little bit broken off inside your finger!). It's
what was on the thorn or what took advantage of the hole in your
finger that's the issue.

The thing with antiseptics is that you need to get them on the wound
quickly. They're designed to stop the nasties getting under your skin.
If there's any nasty that's got in you may now need to think about an
antibiotic cream, lotion or potion, which is the second line of
defence. Check at your local pharmacy as there are some available over
the counter. Indeed, your pharmacist will probably be able to advise
on treatment if you show him/her your yellow lump.

If it doesn't go away soon, though, visit your GP. The "lumpy" bit's
normal but I don't like the "yellow".

Meanwhile milk it. Take thyself to thy bed in feigned agony and insist
on being waited upon. ;-))

Jake