Old 30-01-2011, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Ow

Jake wrote:
Ouch!

Yup.

AFAIK, iodine is now considered old hat as it can actually delay the
healing process. I've read somewhere that washing in soap and water is
as good as, if not better than, applying iodine.

Hmm, Nick has iodine cream in the cupboard that was prescribed when he had
lumps cut out of his arm. I'm guessing it's meant to be useful for
something. :-)

I swear by good old
TCP though I keep a stock of those little envelopes of antiseptic
wipes - the ones that sting like hell when you rub them on - in the
shed.

I suggested TCP first, but .. it looks a bit too sealed over to be
effective, if that makes sense.

The rose thorn itself won't be a problem (assuming it's all out and
there isn't a titchy little bit broken off inside your finger!). It's
what was on the thorn or what took advantage of the hole in your
finger that's the issue.

Actually, it didn't start puffing up until after I took the thorn out.
Could be that I caused the damage myself. It was on the way /out/ of the
potato day today, and I had been sat outside playing I-spy with the kids, my
hands were probably filthy at the time. :-/

Meanwhile milk it. Take thyself to thy bed in feigned agony and insist
on being waited upon. ;-))

Ooh, it's Sunday ... perhaps my finger will drop off and I won't be able to
type by tomorrow ... !