Old 31-01-2011, 02:41 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
You lucky person! I've travelled to and through mid Wales many times but have never been lucky enough to see a red kite "in the flesh".
They have become a common sight along the M40 in the Chilterns, especially around Stokenchurch. And out into the Oxfordshire plain too, and I've seen them as far west as the Oxford/A40 exit. I can't remember the last time I drove to Oxford in daylight without spotting one. I think most people don't even realise what they are looking at. We see them so often we recognise them immediately. I live out in the fields, but you can see them even in the town centres. A friend in Amersham saw 8 at once out of her window the other day.

Apparently the fundie twitchers consider the reintroduced red kites to be "plastic" and not deserving a real tick. I bet they'd tick Scottish Capercaillie or Sea Eagle though, and they are entirely reintroduced (in the 19th century in the former case). But I have seen non-reintro'd red kite in mid-Wales a few times. I suppose being a cyclist/hill-walker helps for that kind of thing - puts you out there for extended periods.