Old 31-01-2011, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Clay and new allotments

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:52:07 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 31/01/2011 10:13, mogga wrote:
We've been told we can't go on until after contractors have been back
in February. We've already got a good idea that the soil is clay so
what's the best plan of action?

Improve a small area at a time and take your chances growing stuff that
will tolerate a clay soil in the rest for a few years. People seem to
forget that clay soils are *fertile* it is just that they waterlog in
winter and set like rock in mid summer droughts.

Spuds, beans and most other veg will grow on clay but they would just
grow better with a mulch of something on top. Even bark chippings would
do at a pinch.

thanks

Eventually when you have a compost heap you can add that back. Some
spent mushroom compost is a quick way to condition some of it.

I've read that digging clay in spring is a waste of time as it'll dry
out and turn to bricks on the surface ... and that mulching is the way
to go...

So what would you do with a clay allotment for the first year assuming
we get on in March.

Plant spuds and whatever else you want to grow. But ask around locally
as to what is worth it on the original soil. Expect to ahve to make
improvements if you want to grow things that detest wet feet like
asparagus for instance.

(And there's no water to the site at the moment)

Not even when it rains?

Regards,
Martin Brown

LOL we had a deep layer of it when it rained... all gone now...
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk