Old 31-01-2011, 04:19 PM
hollierose hollierose is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] View Post
.... they're ...... and ......... their

Some people on this newsgroup have great difficulty comprehending things.

What do you make of 'there', 'they're' and 'their'.

Any takers? Or too hard?

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive
The is simply just stating that *there is something, or you could say 'it's over there'.
Their: indicates possession.. Like something is *theirs.
They' contraction of 'they are'. *They're my mum and dad. I could also say *they are my mum and dad.

I often see people getting it wrong. Some people don't take to it like a duck to water. I am terrible with maths, so I suppose I don't understand numbers like some people can't comprehend this. I'm sure there's an explanation for why they're getting this wrong. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

People often mistake: your for you're. Like I received a text which said 'your one of my best friends', as sweet as it was! People can't help it, but for anyone who does mistake the two, you're is a contraction of you are and your also indicates possession... An example would be *isn't this yours?
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers