Old 31-01-2011, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kathy McIntosh Kathy McIntosh is offline

Default The Birds - I was Wrong

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Janet wrote:
Now in the freezer? ;-)
Nope. Most days, we have up to ten in the garden, most of them
have been coming since they were tiny chicks so we haven't the heart to
kill them.

Awww. (obv, they wouldn't be in the freezer anyhow, they'd be hanging in
shed. But comedy effect overtook me)

The one we ate the other week had died in mysterious circumstances.
J thinks it committed suicide by flying into the window. It was found
by
our dog who is saying nuffin until her lawyer gets here.

I'd be very nervous of eating something if I didn't know why it had died!

It died because something broke its neck.

Speaking of flying into things ... saw a bird hit a van on the M25
yesterday
at rather high speed (well, as high as the M25 gets at that time of the
week) - I always thought the huge cloud of feathers only happened in
cartoons!

If you've ever seen a bird of prey snatch a smaller bird, there's
always a "featherburst" effect. Feathers are only very loosely attached.

I was once told that this is in the hope that whatever grabs the bird will
end up with just a bunch of feathers, while the bird escapes in it's
underwear.

--
Kathy