Old 01-02-2011, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Planting saplings

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 13:14:48 -0000, "Tim" no wrote:
[...]

Travelling costs are moot at this point it's just tree cost and planting
density we're trying to get an idea of. Oh and growth rate of trees I
suppose, faster equals more timber - well pellets out - I suppose, although
do you factor in disease resistance? Why are these things never easy!

[...]

Put "wholesale forest nursery" into your search engine and see what
you get. Other things being equal, a reasonably local supplier is best
(as with anything, really). Names that came up first when I tried it
we Maelor, Perrie Hale, and Parks Farm, but there are several. For
rather small quantities, I've found Buckingham Nurseries very
reliable.

If a catalogue throws you bizarre technical terms, don't be afraid to
ask the dealer what it means: use of proper forestry jargon shows
they're serious.

Faster growth doesn't necessarily mean more calorific value, as you
seem to be thinking of biomass fuel. I imagine you've checked to see
what info the Centre for Alternative Technology has on offer. I note,
though, that your project is intended to last about twenty years: I've
no experience of pelleting, but for ordinary wood-burners some species
will be ready to *coppice* for fuel in about ten years, but others
will take, say, fifteen. You'll get fairly chunky willow in as little
as five years, but it won't have much heat in it, so you'll need a
lot. Other people's experience will differ, of course.

Planting density suggestions will be available in most general
gardening books; but suppliers will advise. I'm sure Ggl will help,
too: enter "hedge planting distance" or some such.

I don't think you need to worry about disease resistance as long as
the species suit the site: native species are tougher than many
cultivated varieties -- that's why they're native species!

--
Mike.