Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Bees, anyone?

hollierose wrote:
Nad R;911766 Wrote:
hollierose wrote:-
I filled in the questionnaire. I'd like to keep bees, it's just
time,
I don't have much of it and I don't have the right outdoor space, that
and I don't know very much about them either.. Although I do like
them.
They are lovely creatures.
-

Lovely creatures? Bees can KILL.

Yorkshire Terriers, now they are lovely creatures. Like a few other
creatures, they can only harm your heart and your wallet

Bees, unlike wasps, only sting when they are very scared.. And they can
die when they sting too. So because they don't do it to be spiteful, I
don't hold it against them.

When near a hive, if ONE bees stings you, it can sets off a hormone that
bees react to. If bees in the hive detect that hormone, Almost ALL the bees
in that hive will come out and sting that same spot or nearby that first
sting.

Now that is where that smoker comes in, it blocks that chemical hormone so
other bees may not know about. The smoke confuses the bees. So one sting or
two should have no effect on the other bees. Without the suit or the
smoker.... RUN if you can! Also carry an injectable drug called
Epinephrine, just in case.

One odd thing, the queen can sting as much as she wants without dying.