Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kathy McIntosh Kathy McIntosh is offline

Default Allotment rents to rise 300%

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:37:13 -0000, "Kathy McIntosh"
wrote:

snip

Kathy, please can you give me a brief description of your composting
toilet? Our committee were aghast when I suggested such a thing.
They are talking of the cost of installing a proper flushing toilet.
Then they suggested an Elsan type and someone asked who would clean
it. They still weren't convinced when I said the composting goilet
would not need much cleaning.
Can you give me some pointers please?
I'm thinking of installing my own on a small scale. It's OK for the
men!!!
TIA

I'll try, Pam.
It involved digging a large hole, I do know that. We have a quite large
galvanized shed, with the toilet inside. The size is to comply with the DDA
regs. Our is a separator loo, which somehow [please don't ask, as I don't
know] separates solids from liquids. The separating bit only works when the
toilet is sat on, so men either have to sit, or use the urinal, also in the
shed. We have to have unbleached paper, and solids have to be covered with
something called "soak". I think the council will come once a year to
remove the "products". It's been in use since early summer, and despite our
reservations, it doesn't smell.
I'm going down the lottie on Thursday - I'll see if I can locate a committee
member and get some more intelligent answers for you.

--
Kathy