Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Biochar?

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

Billy wrote:

"Nancy Young" wrote:

Hi, all.

I keep hearing good things about biochar as a soil amendment.

Does anyone here have experience using it? I'm thinking of
adding it to my flower gardens and vegetable beds.

Also known as "Terra Preta", I regularly add charcoal, and wood ash,
to my garden beds, but I haven't noticed any effect, but then I
haven't added it at the rate of 5 kg/m2 (1 lb/ft2). I don't doubt its
efficacy, it has been shown to work.

There is a good article on making charcoal at
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ...har-To-Improve
-Your-Soil.aspx?page=2
unfortunately these folks refer to wood ash as being a good source for
phosphates(?).

Hey, I could add to it my dishwasher. Heh.

It isn't. It's a good source for potassium.

One important point that they bring up is
"Charcoal briquettes used in grilling are probably not a good choice
(for a source of charcoal). Those designed to light fast often include
paraffin or other hydrocarbon solvents that have no place in an
organic garden. Plain charred weeds, wood or cow pies are better
materials for using this promising soil-building technique based on
ancient gardening wisdom."

One article I read gave me a source that I can find, Cowboy
Charcoal. I'm good with buying a few bags of that.

Looks good :O)

Lump charcoal (unprocessed charcoal) or it's powder at the bottom of
the bag, is OK. My main source of charcoal comes from the wood chips
that I use in my barbecue to flavor meat. I soak them in water, wrap
them in tin foil and then place them on the coals. After the barbecue
cools off, you will find that the wood chips have become charcoal,
and this is what I add to our garden beds. I just scratch it into the
surface.

You told me all I need to know, including how to apply. Thanks a
million. I'm interested to see how effective this is.

nancy

You may want to look at
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...-17-percent-cr
op-yield-increase.php
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."