Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Allotment rents to rise 300%

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:24:05 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Kathy, please can you give me a brief description of your composting
toilet? Our committee were aghast when I suggested such a thing.
They are talking of the cost of installing a proper flushing toilet.
Then they suggested an Elsan type and someone asked who would clean
it. They still weren't convinced when I said the composting goilet
would not need much cleaning.

Composting toilets are fairly common in parts of Australia where there is
limited water.

Here is an Australian government site that gives some useful information:
http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs77.html
(You might have to find a committee member who has travelled and can rise
above making comments about convicts)

I am a committee member, but cannot convince the others!

A friend of mine was a neighbour of Adam Hart-Davis. he had a
straw-bale composting toilet in his back garden and encouraged male
visitors to use it. You pee on the straw and when the straw breaks
down you use the resulting compost and replace the bale. Solid waste
is more difficult!!!

Did I get it wrong? I thought it was Bob who was asking. But never mind.

Governments in any first world country are very nervous of the possibility
of the populace getting nasty poo borne diseases. For some reason they are
upset at the thought of any publicity that might result.

If you can prove to other committe members, that governments and shire
councils are not only willing to consider composting toilets but put
infomation up on web sites about it, you might start them thinking.
Composting loos aren't a do nothing solution as they do need attention but
they are rather like worm farms, once committed they become a fascinating to
their owners.

One built on site by the allotment holders from materials scavenged or made
will be cheap and they do work and work well from what I've been told.

I suspect though that you might have an uphill battle if they are overly
conventional.