Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Started seeds today

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

I went out to the greenhouse today and got busy starting some seeds. I
planted 3 kinds of onions, shallots, kohlrobi, 2 kinds of turnips,
cabbage, broccoli, beets and swiss chard.

I decided to go ahead and start them in the greenhouse since we are
already heating it to keep some citrus alive.

I transplanted some volunteer potatoes yesterday to a new bed. It took
about an hour to prep and transplant. It's not as cold here as it is in
most of the country, but my fingers still hurt like hell afterwards. I
got 3 new germinating trays so I don't need to sterilize them with
chlorine before I use them. When I reuse them, they will get sterilized
first. Now all I need to do is sterilize some soil and I'm ready.

In the past, I've just filled the germinating cells with wet potting
soil, and then poked little holes in the potting mix to put my seeds
into. This year, I will pass some of the potting soil through a
strainer, and use this fine potting soil to sprinkle over seeds laid on
top of the wet soil in the germination cells. I hope this helps with
germination and pricking-out.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug