Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Dino

Default cycling emergency

Thanks for the help!

"SteveG" wrote in message
No

"Dino" wrote in message
If I add some "Bacter Plus" (similar to "Cycle") to the water now, will

this
interfere with the cycling process?

"SteveG" wrote in message
Do a few water changes. Do not feed them. Wait till morning and buy

Hagen
Cycle or any bacteria-in-a-bottle to help speed cycling.

Good luck! Everybody makes mistakes, don't be 'turned-off' with the

hobby.

Steve

"Dino" wrote in message
Help!

A few hours ago I went to my LSF to get some tropical fish for my

new
aquarium (which is apparently still cycling). My home test kit

showed
elevated levels of ammonia, so I took a water sample for testing at

the
LSF.
They confirmed it was somewhere around .6 ppm ammonia. Also, my

water
was
yellow and smelled bad. I panicked and did a 100% water change for

my
new
fish, even though the danio's I had for cycling were fine.

Now with the new water, I have 0 ppm ammonia, but my nitrite rose to

.1
ppm
(it was previously 0). Needless to say, my fish are gasping for air

and
laying motionless on the gravel (sometimes).

What can I do to help them get through the nitrite spike?
I don't want them to die by morning!

Current tank parameters:
pH: 6.8
dH/kH: ?
temp: 26C/79F (eventually, the heater is still working)
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: .1 ppm
nitrate: ? (none, I guess... i don't have a tester for this)

I have 2 guppies, 3 neon tetras (starters) and 1 "anubias nana"

plant.

Thanks in advance for all replies.