Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Started seeds today

Doug Freyburger wrote:
Nad R wrote:
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Billy, what process do you use to sterilize soil? I've got some beautiful
leaf mold, but it's full of weed seeds.

I asked him that same question a few years back... His response...A
toaster oven. It is after all a simple but effective solution.

I had thought in terms of letting the composting process run to
completion. Last year's composting pile turned the year it cooked is
this year's compost ready for use. Effective when you have the open
space available. I did some composting when I had a back yard. I
recently switched to an apartment with a desk so there's no more room.

I wondered if the toaster oven would work for seeds. Some seeds can
survive drying out. When I read it I thought it was for mold, fungus
and whatever. Toaster oven is clever for small amounts - Thanx!

Hmm... If you have a balcony, I would do it outside. It can stink up your
home.
It's not like home made bread.