Old 04-02-2011, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Started seeds today

Doug Freyburger wrote:
Billy wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:
Nad R wrote:

toaster oven

I wondered if the toaster oven would work for seeds.

Also thanks to Nad R for the hilarious image of baking my dirt in the
kitchen oven. Much more entertaining than my previous thought of using
the propane grill on the deck as an oven.

Absolutely... baking cloche for outdoor grills and pizza stones. Outdoor
grills can provide constant high heat over 500 degrees and higher and often
does a better job than the on/off heat of indoor gas ovens. Outdoor grills
with the clay cloche work fine for baking breads and pizzas.

However the other side of the planet... Never cook dirt in your clay pots
it will wreck your pot with baked on dirt inside it and may never get rid
of the smell. Use those steel bowls for dirt. On the other hand how about
those inexpensive outdoor fire pits?

There is the time honored method of pouring boiling water onto your soil,
not as effective but better than nothing.