Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George[_14_] George[_14_] is offline

Default Soil sample taken .

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

DogDiesel wrote:

I agree. And I will address this issue. But its unlikely that Im
not Nitrogen deficient. What plants grew last year responded very
well to me adding fish fertilizer to them.

Don't get too excited about measured N levels unless your plants are
showing
signs of deficiency. The agronomists that I talk to say it is the most
difficult element to measure reliably and the one that can vary quite
quickly because many N compounds are very soluble in water and/or gaseous
so
they move about easily.

Or you have so much organic material in the soil, that the
microorganisms consume the N to create a population large enough to
consume the resource of carbon (starch&cellulose), and little N is left
for the plants.

until the organic material is depleted and the microorganisms die off,
releasing N.

Try taking a reading in a few weeks and a few after that to see what trend
may develop.

rob