Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 PM
freshturf freshturf is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavj View Post
Hi All, our old lawn was always lovely and green but not very flat for mowing with a flymo. So we decided to have a new lawn laid.

The old soil was dug out to a depth of 8 inch and refilled with washed sand.

The lawn looks very pale, uneven in growth and some bald spots. in fact we could mow it for the first 2 months as there was no growth. It was laid about 3 months ago and after having the company back we are still watering regularly, feeding and now mowing every week.

I just wanted to know if anyone thinks the problems we are having are from the turf being laid on sand. Whenever we stop watering the lawn goes yellow and dried even though we had rain. Surely we cant be expected to water daily now its 3 months old.

I wish we had never had the work done or had someone that was happy to lay it on soil as the last lawn was pretty trouble free.

My other fear is that when summer comes round again the lawn will dry and die and the company will say its not their problem as its been layed a year.

We are in derbyshire U.K and as other know its been quite a wet summer anyway.

Thanks Gav

Who ever suggested that much sand should be added!!

As turf growers and suppliers, we see some strange things done by gardeners and landscapers but we have never seen this much sand added.

If your existing lawn was healthy, why did the landscaper not just strip the old lawn, rotovate your soil and level. Possibly screed an inch of rootzone over the top and then relay new turf.

It sounds like their extravigant plan was probably a good way of talking you out of a small fortune.
UK Turf Suppliers
Turf
Lawn Turf
Turf Suppliers