Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hyacinth Bulbs - arrgh!

On 06/02/2011 18:16, wrote:
Just found 2 bags of hyacinths that I forgot to plant end of last year
(actually, I didn't 'forget' so much as never got around to digging out the
allotment flower patch in time before it snowed), so I thought I'd throw
them in.

I swear I didn't touch anything without gloves! But within minutes my face
and neck were itching so much I had to go in and wash hands and face in cold
water - even then, as soon as I came back out it all started up again. And
even now, several hours later, I still feel uncomfortable. :-(

Well, no, as your hands weren't itching it seems that you could have
transferred something from the outside of your gloves to your face and
neck. It's so easily done.

You could always try some Hydrocortisone Cream (despite the warning
he
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/868.aspx...CategoryID=104
which is plain daft for a one-off use, and recognises this itself with
some weasel-wording!). But whatever you decide, it's obvious you are
allergic to something on the outside of those bulbs, and will need to
take care in future. Unless, of course, it was a coincidence and there
was something else outside to which you are allergic...

--

Jeff