Old 07-02-2011, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Hyacinth Bulbs - arrgh!

wrote in
:

Just found 2 bags of hyacinths that I forgot to plant end of last year
(actually, I didn't 'forget' so much as never got around to digging
out the
allotment flower patch in time before it snowed), so I thought I'd
throw
them in.

I swear I didn't touch anything without gloves! But within minutes my
face and neck were itching so much I had to go in and wash hands and
face in cold water - even then, as soon as I came back out it all
started up again. And even now, several hours later, I still feel
uncomfortable. :-(

A possible axplaination (assuming the hyacinths had irritants) is that you
were obviously working with 2 gloves. When you take off the first glove
your other hand is still gloved so it is protected. When you take off the
second glove the other(previously gloved and protected) hand is naked and
would have taken the irritant onto your thumb and index finger. unless you
took the second glove off with your teeth, as I have seen people do. Then
of course the irritant is on your skin, or in your mouth.

I hope this is of some use.
Baz