Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Hyacinth Bulbs - arrgh!

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
A possible axplaination (assuming the hyacinths had irritants) is
that you were obviously working with 2 gloves. When you take off the
first glove your other hand is still gloved so it is protected. When
you take off the second glove the other(previously gloved and
protected) hand is naked and would have taken the irritant onto your
thumb and index finger. unless you took the second glove off with
your teeth, as I have seen people do. Then of course the irritant is
on your skin, or in your mouth.

Ah, you could be onto something there! Although it /has/ been known
for me to take my gloves off between my knees.

Although I have to say, I think it started when I still had the gloves
on.

But now I think about it along those terms ... I reckon it was when I
picked the packet up. I would normally be holding it by the
cardboard, but the plastic bag was open on one (2 were removed), so I
think I was holding the plastic, which has quite big ventilation holes
in it. Damn. Must be more careful. (of course, I only remember I
need to be careful once I'm itching and it's too late! (said the
actress to the bishop, etc))

So it is nasally how you got the "itch". There are loads of ways to get
irritants, and one is between the knees (said the actress to the bishop).
The most irritating thing is that a few bulbs can harm some sensetive folk.

Baz