Old 07-02-2011, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Hyacinth Bulbs - arrgh!

On 7 Feb 2011 11:16:53 GMT, wrote:

Ah, but when I've touched them with my hands in the past, it's always my
face and neck which have itched! I don't remember it making my hands itch

When I was a child, I was allergic to primroses/primulas and if I
touched one with my hands, the skin around my eyes puffed up and
effectively closed my eyes for a day or so. Wierd and somewhat
terrifying for a 6-year-old. There was no other reaction. I've grown
out of that allergy but cannot now eat mushrooms - for some reason,
"non-lumpy" mushroom soup is ok and I can touch mushrooms but if I eat
a chunk of mushroom I come out in a very itchy rash.

But I never had any reaction to hyacinth bulbs until they started
printing a warning on the pack about skin irritation! Is it something
recent I wonder? Or am I allergic to warnings about allergic
reactions?