Old 07-02-2011, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Hyacinth Bulbs - arrgh!

wrote in message
Baz wrote:
A possible axplaination (assuming the hyacinths had irritants) is that
you
were obviously working with 2 gloves. When you take off the first glove
your other hand is still gloved so it is protected. When you take off the
second glove the other(previously gloved and protected) hand is naked and
would have taken the irritant onto your thumb and index finger. unless
you
took the second glove off with your teeth, as I have seen people do. Then
of course the irritant is on your skin, or in your mouth.

Ah, you could be onto something there! Although it /has/ been known for
me
to take my gloves off between my knees.

Although I have to say, I think it started when I still had the gloves on.

But now I think about it along those terms ... I reckon it was when I
picked
the packet up. I would normally be holding it by the cardboard, but the
plastic bag was open on one (2 were removed), so I think I was holding the
plastic, which has quite big ventilation holes in it. Damn. Must be more
careful. (of course, I only remember I need to be careful once I'm
itching
and it's too late! (said the actress to the bishop, etc))

Having searched Google for information, it appears your were suffering from
"Hyacinth Itch" !
Pleanty if instances mentioned, but no definitive cause other than a
chemical substance contained in the bulbs.

Bill