Old 09-02-2011, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Blanket Weed

Yes - a popular topic. :-( I realise that this is a FAQ, but technology
changes year by year, and I'm wondering what the latest views are.

I'm currently cleaning out our pond, for various reasons, but one of
them is that I want to have a real go at the damned blanket weed that
invaded several years ago, and finally got the better of us a year or
two ago.

I have drained the pond, and I'm scrubbing at the liner with a hard
floor brush, in an attempt to remove as much of the weed as possible.
It's almost *im*possible: traces of the weed remain no matter how hard
I scrub.

I'm aware that many "treatments" exist (I tried one a couple of years
ago), but do any of them actually work? I'm always afraid that it might
do for other things as well as the blanket weed. The one that I did try
(Tetrapond Algofin) had little discernible effect.

I suspect that the consensus will be: "put up with it, and try to
remove it regularly" :-(

Cheers
John