Old 11-02-2011, 05:15 PM
hampshiretom hampshiretom is offline
Registered User

Default Repotting Clematis

Hi all!

New to here - just registered - and a novice gardener.

Last year I planted two clematis (both group 3 - Fond Memories and Polish Spirit) in a pot outside the front of my cottage. The Polish Spirit did very well indeed reaching about 5ft and loads of flowers. Just reached the first beam on the front wall of the house! The Fond Memories did not fare so well and managed one flower before wilting. I cut it right back and it sent up nice new vines which got to about 3ft and then failed again.

I think the problem was that the pot I had them in is too small (about 40 deep and 50cm across) or got too warm in the sun (terracotta), so I have just picked up a bargainous old oak barrel from a yard which I have cut the top off, giving me a big planter which measures about 65cm deep and 60cm across which I hope will be much more successful. The other issue may have been that the potting compost I used in the original pot was not of the best quality.

My question is- what shall I fill the barrel with? I have a never ending supply of well rotted horse manure (one of the only financial bonuses of having two hungry horses!) which I would like to use as much of as poss to save some money as the barrel is so big!

My thoughts were broken pots in bottom to aid drainage, followed by a shallow layer of just manure, then manure mixed with potting compost and then just potting compost on the top. I have several bags of Levington Multi Purpose potting compost with added John Innes in the shed, will this be OK?

I have just cut the clematis' back and they both have very healthy looking shoots ready to go.

Thanks all, your help will be much appreciated.

Tom