Old 26-02-2003, 01:03 AM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Priorities in bonsai design

Do to cost considerderation (and actual in-ground space limitations), I went
to K-Mart (Wal-Mart, Target, whatever) and bought a number of the larger
clear plastic storage containers. You can get them in fairly large sizes -
much wider/longer than deep and some even have "feet" to raise them from the
ground and handles to carry them. Then drill, melt or poke drainage holes
in them. I've got a couple of trees from the nursery growing out in them
and one fairly large Yew that I dug up that is recovering in one of the big
ones. I plan on using this type of container on quite a few of the trees
I'll be trunk thickening starting in the spring. Depending on the size you
need, Jim's suggestion is probably the cheapest - buy the REALLY cheap large
plastic pots at a nursery and cut them down to half the height.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39