Old 12-02-2011, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Pleione formosana

On Feb 12, 11:37*am, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Spider" *wrote ...

Thank you so much, Bob. *That's really helpful. *I didn't want to be
toooo precious with them, so I'll follow your instructions. *I won't put
them out until I've cleared up after the repointing work, for fear they
get damaged, but I usually keep a few plants (agapanthus, etc) by the
house over winter so the Pleiones can join them.

Thanks again. *You're a gem :~).

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have to protect mine from squirrels
in the winter with some wire mesh. Not sure if they eat the plants or just
dig them out looking for or burying nuts but Sue says she is certain she saw
one carrying off a pseudobulb.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I've had the frame over mine (the ones you gave me) open for a couple
of days to let them get a bit of rain, then I read that and I've put
the light back on.
The survival rate isn't 100% but it's pretty good, looks like I'll
have well over a dozen good plants. Even the ones I am trying in the
open (in a sheltered niche next to the base of my workshop) seem OK -
I only put 3 there as an experiment and I've found 2 of them, they're
hard to see in the loose leafy soil there.
So there goes my resolution to not have anything of doubtful hardiness
in this garden - in the end I can't resist an experiment especially
with something as lovely as these orchids.