Old 13-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Julian200 Julian200 is offline
Registered User

Default Growing Magnolia Grandiflora in UK

Hi, I have a Magnolia grandiflora I planted some years ago, it grows well in the summer, but looses all its leaves in the winter and the stem dies back almost to the ground because of the cold winters here in mid-Wales. Can I grow it up the wall of the house for shelter or will it get too big or damage the house foundations? and is it ever likely to flower in this climate? Alternatively, would planting it in a sheltered wooded area be any good or should I give up trying to grow this plant completely?