Old 13-02-2011, 12:03 PM
wrenhere wrenhere is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
On 12/02/2011 12:18, wrenhere wrote:
Hello, I planted 5 original Globemaster alliums about 4 years ago which
have now split into 3 or 4 bulbs each - they all flowered last year but
I completely forgot to split them in the autumn - out of sight out of
mind! Now they are all showing themselves again, some are 5 inches,
some only 2 inches. Would I be completely mad to - extremely carefully,
dig them up and split them now? Thanks, Wren

You would have to be *extremely* careful! The roots will be very
brittle and, once broken, will tend not to regrow this season in the
manner of other plants. If you can be really careful, do it, but in
your position I would just gently explore with a hand fork to see how
much root has been made. Hopefully, you'll catch them just in time.
Good luck.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London