Old 13-02-2011, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice Please - Frost/Snow Damage To Bamboo

In article e6e4011c-3fed-49c2-b007-
, says...
Hi,

I have (had)! a nice bushy four year old ?Golden Bamboo? at the bottom
of my garden that has been badly hit by the winter frost and snow we
had here in the North West (UK).

Just about all the leaves have turned brown and dropped off leaving
brown and green canes.

Have I lost it, or is there anything I can do to save it ???

Thanks for any advice that can be offered.

Gary.

Nothing you can do at this stage, its not likely to be dead, Bamboo have
a lot of stored energy in the root system, when it starts to send up new
culms you can remove any of the older culms that have failed to grow new
leaves and are looking dead, but anything even half alive leave alone.
you will find these new shoots are unlikely to be fully ripe before
winter so bind the clump in fleece next winter to prevent a repeat which
may kill the allready weakoned plant
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk