Old 13-02-2011, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default First frogspawn

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:09:35 +0000, Jake
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:29:16 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Feb 12, 6:35*pm, rbel wrote:
First frog-spawn today, four small clumps. *Just one female and two male *
frogs visible at the moment (S Devon).

--
rbel

How do you know which ones are female and which ones are male?

The females simply won't shut up ;-)))

Seriously though, the pond is looking like a morning rush hour today.
There was one clump of spawn yesterday but at the moment there are
about 14 frogs queueing up for the currently dimished planted areas
and a couple already in productive mode. And I've realised that I
cannot get to the remaining planted bits without chopping down a
couple of large juniper bushes so won't be able to remove any spawn
this year.

I wonder will the RSPCA prosecute me for allowing overcrowding?

Jake

What a difference half an hour makes! It's now difficult to decide
whether what's going on is an orgy or a war! It looks like more males
have arrived and are trying to disturb the established couplings!

Females must be strong as there's one hopping across the lawn with a
(presumably) male on her back.

I assume the rain's brought them out in the daytime though there must
have been goings on for a couple of days as the cat's had his work cut
out chasing interlopers from around the pond - he's very territorial!

Jake