Old 13-02-2011, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Darkside Darkside is offline

Default First bumblebee

In article , Spider
writes
On 12/02/2011 18:28, Darkside wrote:
I saw my first bumblebee today on the winter honeysuckle bush by my
kitchen door. Instead of the usual huge yellow and black queen with a
white tail (Bombus terrestris) it's a ginger and black kind that I've
never seen before. Apparently it's Bombus hypnorum, a species recently
arrived from Europe, and it likes to nest in bird nestboxes.
I've a spare nestbox the birds never use, maybe I'll put it up and see
if any bees move in.

I saw my first (it was B. terrestris) about three days ago on
Sarcococca. It was such a cheering sight. It may not be spring yet,
but it felt like it that afternoon :~).

It's spring. Today it rained without cease from dawn to dusk.

--
Sue ]