Old 14-02-2011, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Does gardening cost less then a store.

"DogDiesel" wrote:
Does a garden pay for itself ? Or is it cheaper to go to the grocery store.

how big you have to have to break even.

it depends on your soil. In the short term - NO, long term - YES!
However, it is not size that matters in cost to break even. A tomato plant
in a pot can save you money. So the more space you have the greater the
potential there is to save. The biggest cost in gardening is the cost of
time in which only you can put a value on.

If you have good soil to begin with, the cost is only a few tools and soil
amendments will not cost as much. Soil that is not very good will cost you
more for raised beds or lots for soil amendments. Seeds cost less than four
dollars a pack, a pack of seeds will last about four years in a dry cool
place. Buying plants ready for transplanting reduces the cost
effectiveness. If space is limited growing high cost foods like tomatoes
peppers and leaf lettuces are much cheaper to grow your own. Carrots and
potatoes are cheap at the stores and will not be as cost effective. If you
have lots of land, like around 2,000 square feet of good soil you can grow
lots of food for a family of four. One note: ninety percent of my seeds go
directly into the ground and only ten percent I start with seed kits.
Tomatoes and peppers I start with seeds indoors, all else is seeds directly
in the ground.

Gardening is like any other hobby or occupation, it does take some
knowledge and skills to be good at it. The more you learn and the more
skilled you become and the cheaper your gardening cost will become. Learn
how to seed save, learn to make your compost and learn how to build your
own soil so no need to buy them.

Gardening is also more than just vegetable gardening. I find gardening is a
great physical and mental workout. Good for the soul to get out in the yard
and make it look beautiful that helps the mind get away from the problems
and ugliness of the world.