Old 14-02-2011, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Growing Magnolia Grandiflora in UK

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 4:35 pm, Donwill wrote:
On 2/13/2011 10:43 AM, Julian200 wrote: Hi, I have a Magnolia grandiflora
I planted some years ago, it grows
well in the summer, but looses all its leaves in the winter and the stem
dies back almost to the ground because of the cold winters here in
mid-Wales. Can I grow it up the wall of the house for shelter or will it
get too big or damage the house foundations? and is it ever likely to
flower in this climate? Alternatively, would planting it in a sheltered
wooded area be any good or should I give up trying to grow this plant
completely?

Go up to Bodnant in the Conwy Valley not far from you, they have quite a
few there, I'm not sure which varieties, Goliath springs to mind but I
can't remember it's a long time since I visited. Must go again.
Hwyl
Don

When I lived in Cardiff there was one up against one of the houses in
Cathedral Road, they were old Victorian houses, 4 stories high, and it
flowered it's socks off every year. the property was sold and re
developed as offices, the Magnolia was cut off at ground level and the
stump which was well over 18 inches accross. had been caped with a
lead sheet.
3 years later it had pushed past the sheet and was over 15 ft tall and
looking very healthy.
David Hill

Somewhat dangerous for the property I would have thought. Both having it
there in the first place because of the root damage and cutting it down if
it was that size for subsequent heave :-((

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive