Old 15-02-2011, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Homemade Insecticides - Tobaco

DavidofWales wrote:
Hi I'm wondering if I could boil some tobaco in water and use the
resulting solution to spray on vedge as an insecticde?

Nicotine is very poisonous, the only reason that smokers survive as long as
they do is because most of the nicotine in each smoke is destroyed by heat.
Such a solution will be quite toxic, do not ingest it or allow children pets
etc to get to it.

If so, what are
the ratios and will my vedge be ok to eat or will they become toxic?

These are two important issues. You won't know exactly how strong your
solution is because different tobaccos contain various amounts of nicotine
and the amount extracted into solution will depend on the conditions of the
extraction. Thus you won't know how much you can (should) dilute while it
remains effective nor will you know the withholding period. There may be
information to help with these available on the web but there is a risk that
it is not reliable.

Consider this recipe (the first one that I found).

http://www.ehow.com/how_5459005_make...ine-spray.html

It says a cup of chewing tobacco for a gallon of water and that the spray is
only effective for a few hours. I have no idea if either of these things is
correct. A cup of tobacco doesn't seem very cheap to me but I don't buy
tobacco. I suppose you could collect butts at places where smokers
congregate, you would have to dress the part, maybe carry a bottle in a
brown paper bag and rub dirt into your face and hands.

It also says soap will dissolve the bodies of soft bodied insects which is
not true. You takes your chances with what you find on the web. The soap
will act as a wetting agent allowing the liquid to wet both leaves and
insects which will improve the amount the insects ingest, so it is useful.

Will they (the veges) even be damaged by the spray?

I doubt it.

David