Old 15-02-2011, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing Magnolia Grandiflora in UK

In article ,
says...

Hi, I have a Magnolia grandiflora I planted some years ago, it grows
well in the summer, but looses all its leaves in the winter and the stem
dies back almost to the ground because of the cold winters here in
mid-Wales. Can I grow it up the wall of the house for shelter or will it
get too big or damage the house foundations? and is it ever likely to
flower in this climate? Alternatively, would planting it in a sheltered
wooded area be any good or should I give up trying to grow this plant
completely?

You seem to have got plenty of replies, not sure if there are any
pictures on line but the NT property of Lanhydrock house in Cornwall has
two huge three story plants planted on its walls, there is no sign of
damage and no sign of maintainance in the area near the trunk, I mention
this as the NT are not in my experiance the slightest bit sentimental
about plants and wouldn't hesitate to remove these trees if they
were causing damage to the house, so if you want to try again on the
house wall I would go for it.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk