Old 15-02-2011, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Growing Magnolia Grandiflora in UK

In article , Sacha
writes
It's often recommended that they're grown against a wall for
protection. They'll go to -15C but can suffer at 5C, so putting them
against a house wall or a sheltered garden wall is a good move because
not only does it shelter them from the cold, it helps to shelter their
branches from the wind if grown as a wall shrub.

Just ordered 10 mature shaped ones for a garden who wants to cover up an
eyesore of a caravan parked at right angels to their property.
Can highly recommend Majestic trees who were helpful and knowledgeable
and knew what we were talking about. It helped that i took photographs f
what we wanted to do and the layout etc. and the height of the fences
etc. They can even plant them, with a small digger etc. within the next
few days!

Basically we want to plant along the fence with the Magnolias breaking
just about 6 foot o that they screen the campervan in winter . As the
houseowner is moving out this is being done to 'sell' the property so i
wouldn't generally suggest such trees but they were nice looking
specimens and round here magnolia g. grows phenomenally well to the
point that you have to annually lop large amounts from it if growing it
near a house or access route!
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association