Old 15-02-2011, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Homemade Insecticides - Tobaco

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
DavidofWales wrote:

Hi I'm wondering if I could boil some tobaco in water and use the
resulting solution to spray on vedge as an insecticde? If so, what are
the ratios and will my vedge be ok to eat or will they become toxic?
Will they even be damaged by the spray?

If not does anybody else know of any cheap homemade alternatives to the
store bought stuff. I'm really trying to keep costs to a minimum this
year givien my skintness!

Many thanks

Dave

Tobacco tea should only be used on ornamentals, not food crops.
Sevin should not be used. It kills pollinators. It kills everything.

Why should Tabasco tea only be used on ornamentals?
If it is not good for food crops why exclude ornamentals. Does tobacco tea
not kill bees also? After all is it an insecticide or just gives the bugs a
bad taste?

I found this site interesting:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...521218483.html

The main topic states "One drop on your skin can make you very sick".
There is an argument about also killing bees in the second response.

I am amazed that people are making teas from tobacco. Learn something new
today

It is a insecticide. It isn't good for you to eat. 40–60*mg
(0.5-1.0*mg/kg) can be a lethal dosage for adult humans.
--
- Billy
“When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.”