Old 16-02-2011, 12:46 PM
DavidofWales DavidofWales is offline
Registered User

Location: Wales, UK

Hi, thanks to everyone who gave me valuable information and the links to other relevant web pages. As you nice people and constructive posters can see this is my third post, and I would like to give a forum a chance before I leave it. These thanks exclude the first poster Nad as they called me stupid.

If Nad had bothered to read my post properly asking for help Nad wouldn't of bothered replying in such a way that makes themselfes come across (I'm not saying they are) but come across like an obnoxious, nasally spoken know it all with far too many references to television programmes. God I cringed and felt embarrassed for Nad when I read their reply!

OK I've been thinking about using the nicotine extracted from Nicotiana Tobbacum as it's a natural mechanism of defence against insects. I've just realised it's a broad spectrum insecticide and will therefore not be using it on my vedge. I want as much predatory wildlife in my garden as much as I don't want pests!

I think I'm going to try the soap methods and plant some marigolds amongst my rows. I've read some interesting information on caffeine as an insecticide but if you get the concentration wrong it may scorch the foliage. In a low enough concentration it might just act as a deterrent. I’ll try it when there's an outbreak of pests on my patch.

Again, thanks to all those who have contributed information constructively.